A 7-day tour of northeast Spain
The northeastern corner of the Iberian peninsula is one of the most biodiverse places in Spain: from coastal wetlands to the high mountains of the Pyrenees there are a whole range of habitats mediterranean woodland and scrub, croplands and inland wetlands to name a few.
This Onaga birding tour includes visits to all the principal natural spaces in the area, bird havens like the Ebro Delta National Park, Guara Sierra and Canyons National Park and the spectacular Hecho Valley in the Pyrenees.
The birdlist is therefore extensive and includes Iberian specials like Audoiun’s Gull, Slender-billed Gull, Lammergeier, Bonelli’s Eagle, Bearded Reedling, Wallcreeper, Black Woodpecker, Lesser Short-toed Lark, Pin-tailed Sandgrouse and Citril Finch.
|Day 1||BARCELONA – THE EBRO DELTA|
We will leave Barcelona and head to the Ebro Delta, where we will spend the whole day birding the northern part: Bassa de les Olles, Fangar and Marquesa beach.
|Purple Heron, Little Bittern, Glossy Ibis, Balaeric Shearwater, Greater Flamingo, Eurasian Oystercatcher, Pied Avocet, Black-winged Stilt, Collared Pratincole, Common, Common and Little Ringed Plovers, Kentish Plover, Grey Plover, Dunlin, Little and Temminck’s Stints, Common and Spotted Redshanks, Common Greenshank, Eurasian Curlew, Eurasian Whimbrel, Slender-billed, Audoiun’s, Mediterranean and Yellow-legged Gulls, Sandwich Tern.|
|Day 2||THE EBRO DELTA|
We will spend the day in the southern part of the delta: Aufacada and Buda island (from the shore), Tancada and Encayissada Lagoons, the Sant Antoni saltpans, Bahia dels Alfacs and Barra del Trabucador.
|Common Shelduck, Red-crested Pochard, Purple Swamphen, Common Pochard, Caspian Tern, Black and Whisskered Terns, Lesser Short-toed Lark, Yellow Wagtail, Savi’s, Sedge, European Reed and Great Reed Warblers, Pied Flycatcher, Eurasian Penduline Tit, Common Reed Bunting subspecies witherby.|
|Day 3||PUERTOS DE BECIETE – LERIDA PLAIN|
In the morning we will ascend Monte Caro (1,423m asl) with stops to observe typical birds of Mediterranean scrub and rocky outcrops. At the top there is a spectacular panorama of the Tortosa plain with the Ebro Delta in the background. We can observe Iberian Ibex at close range. After a pinic lunch we will transfer to Lerida.We will stop at Afes- Mas de Melons for steppe species.
|Griffon Vulture, Peregrine Falcon, Pin-tailed Sandgrouse, European Bee-eater, Western Bonelli’s Warbler, Western Orphean Warbler, Calandra Lark, Greater Short-toed Lark, Great Spotted Cuckoo, European Roller, Black Wheatear, Blue Rock Thrush.|
|Day 4||LERIDA PLAIN – PRE-PYRENEES|
We will explore the dry Lerida plain in the morning, visiting the Finca de Torreribera to look for typical cropland and steppe species. The last pairs of Lesser Grey Shrike in Spain breed here. Afterwards we will head to the Utxesa reservoir, half an hour away from the city of Lerida. This is one of the few breeding areas for reedbed specialists like Bearded Reedling, Moustached Warbler and Common Reed Bunting subspecies witherby. Mid-morning we will ascend the Huesca Pre-Pyrenees, arriving at the Gaura Sierra and Canyons National Park for a picnic lunch. In the afternoon we will observe rock ledge-nesting species in the impressive vulture colony there.
|Black-winged Kite, European Marsh Harrier, Griffon Vulture, Egyptian Vulture, Lammergeier, Golden Eagle, Short-toed Eagle, Eurasian Hobby, Peregrine Falcon, Eurasian Eagle Owl, Little Owl, Stone Curlew, European Roller, European Golden Oriole, Alpine Swift, Common and Blue Rock Thrushes, Eurasian Penduline Tit, Moustached, Melodious, Western Orphean, Sardinian and Subalpine Warblers, Bearded Reedling, Iberian Grey and Lesser Grey Shrikes, Red-billed Chough, Common Reed Bunting subspecies witherby.|
|Day 5||GUARA SIERRA AND CANYONS – HECHO VALLEY|
We’ll bird the Guara area in the morning (Vadiello, Santa Cilia etc). After a picnic lunch we will ascend the Pyrenean slope, birding at points along the way. We will arrive at the Hecho Valley at dusk.
|Red Kite, Lammergeier, Egyptian and Griffon Vultures, Golden and Booted Eagles, Common and Blue Rock Thrushes, Wallcreeper, Northern Dipper, Western Orphean Warbler, Ortolan and Cirl Buntings.|
|Day 6||THE HECHO VALLEY|
We will spend the day watching medium- high montane bird species in this spectacular Pyrenean valley.
|Lammergeier, Egyptian and Griffon Vultures, Golden Eagle, Red Kite, Northern Dipper, Ring Ouzel, Black Woodpecker, Northern Bullfinch, Wallcreeper, Marsh Tit, Northern Treecreeper, Goldcrest, Red-backed Shrike, Common Crossbill, Alpine Chough, Yellowhammer.|
|Day 7||HECHO VALLEY – BARCELONA|
Return to Barcelona. Afternoon birding in the Llobregat delta, the third most important wetland in Spain.
|Common Shelduck, Little Bittern, Purple Heron, Audoiun’s Gull, Mediterranean and Balearic Shearwaters, Northern Gannet, European Marsh Harrier, Purple Swamphen, waders, Great Reed Warbler.|
- April- May
- Maximum group size: 12 people
- Minimum group size: 6 people
- Price: contact us
- Booked accommodation consists of double rooms with an en suite bathroom for private use. If for any reason it is necessary to change this, the tour operator reserves the right to substitute booked hotes for another similar establishment. If the use of inferior accommodation cannot be avoided, the client will be reimbirsed proportionately for the difference in price.
- The price of booked accommodation is based on a double room per night. If you are travelling alone, and you don’t mind sharing accommodation, please specify in your application (“willing to share”). If there are other members of the group who are also amenable to sharing, the agency will facilitate the booking. If you are travelling alone and wish to have a room to yourself, please add the Single Room Supplement to the tour fees.
- Being met at the airport on arrival
- Transport in a private vehicle from the start to the end of the tour
- Accommodation in selected hotels
- Three meals a day
- National Park entrance fees according to the interary
- Local guide who speaks Spanish and English
- Health and Safety Insurance
- Professional support from our team
- International flight tickets at the start and the end of the tour
- Travel insurance and flight cancellation insurance
- Personal extras: drinks, laundry, telephone bills
- Single room supplement
- Unspecified food (snacks etc)
- Activities and excursions not mentioned in the tour itinerary
- Airport taxes or entry and exit fees
- Any other service not mentioned above
- Breakfast and dinner will be in each hotel. During excursions we will have a picnic lunch outside, but depending on the route, we might have lunch in a restaurant near the site we are visiting.
- If you suffer from an allergy or dietary intolerance, you should inform us of this when you make your reservation and we will try to offer you adecuate menus on the tour.We would be happy to help.
- Road travel (journey distance and time) is carefully planned on our tours. However, in the case of unfavourable weather conditions, or a change in opening hours or other technical problems, our itinerary may alter. The guide will decide how to modify each stage of the trip if necessary to adapt to the conditions on the trip. We ask for flexibilty and understanding from tour members should this be the case.
- Documentation: Passport or official prrodf of identity, which should be valid throughout your stay in Spain. We recommend yopu get aN EU Health Card and specify if you suffer from any allergy to medication.
More information: click here
- Climate: Mediterranean climate with an Atlantic influence in Extremadura, Odiel and Doñana. During April and May temperatures are warm and pelasant, between 17 and 20ºC.
- Local time: If you would like to know the exact local time in Spain, please click here . We are one hour ahead of GMT in summer and winter.
- Currency: the currency in Spain is the Euro (EUR). You can concult the current exchange rate at the following site: click here
- What to bring
- Observation equipment: binoculars and/or telescope, camera and field guide.
- Voltage is 220v and 50Hz in Spain, so make sure you have an adaptor that you can use to connect camera, phone and laptop chargers. click here for more information.
- Clothing: light, comfortable clothing, hiking boots or outdoor shoes, something warm for the evenings and a hat and sun cream.